How is HIV Transmitted?
HIV is transmitted through:
• Sexual intercourse with an HIV-positive person
• Sharing of infected needles and piercing instruments
• Transfer of fluid by an HIV-positive mother to her unborn baby
• Contaminated blood transfusion
How do I protect myself against HIV?
• Abstinence from casual sex is the best guarantee against HIV/AIDS.
• Be faithful to your spouse.
• Stay away from drugs.
• Obtain blood transfusion from only centers that are trusted.
(Note: All blood centers in Singapore have very stringent blood screening and thus far there has been no known case of transmission of the HIV virus via blood transfusion in Singapore.)
How safe are condoms against HIV?
Condoms do not give 100% protection against HIV and AIDS.
THE CATHOLIC CHURCH ADVOCATES ABSTINENCE AND BEING FAITHFUL TO YOUR SPOUSE. IT ALSO ADVOCATES SEX WITHIN THE SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE.